Ground Turkey & Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, diced
- ½ cup tomato paste
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 big bell peppers cut in half
- Feta cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat, add in onion and garlic and cook for about 2-3 mins or until onions begin to look translucent.
- Add in turkey to the skillet and cook until the meat is no longer pink (about 10 mins). Make sure to break apart the meat as it cooks.
- Add in sweet potatoes to the skillet, cover and cook until they are tender (about 8 mins). If necessary, add a little bit more oil or water to help cook sweet potatoes. Don't forget to stir occasionally.
- Add in tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper, uncover and cook for about 1-2 more mins and then remove from heat.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet, arrange peppers cavity side up and fill each pepper with ground turkey-sweet potato mix.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 mins or until the peppers are cooked and soft.
- Remove and sprinkle with feta.